940 GLE cutting off abruptly when driving

My 940 GLE is cutting off abruptly when I am driving. This can happen at anytime, anywhere, and at any speed (slow or fast). It can cut off when I am driving up the hill, down the hill, on the curve, or straight.

The interesting part of it is that, after it cuts off, it won't start immidiately when I try to start it and I must wait for about 5 to 10 minutes before it starts again. Then it might drive for about a half a mile or a mile before it cuts off for the second time then all I have to do is wait for about 5 to 10 minutes before restarting it.

Also, I have noticed that, this problem tend to occur and persist more often when temperature is high (hot)especially. I mention this because, the other day, the temperature in my area was hot (in 80's), and this vehicle had been parked directly in the sun till around 2 pm in the afternoon. When I tried to start it from the ignition switch, it wont start. I took a screw driver and started it from the starter with no problem. By the way, if I have problem starting or restarting the car from the ignition switch, I can always start it with a screw driver from the starter. So while I am aware that I need to replace igniton switch, I am not sure why it is cutting off on me abruptly when I'm driving.

If anyone out there has an idea or can offer a suggestion, I would appreciate very much.

Reply to
sweetscent

If the warning lights also don't come on when the engine dies and won't restart, focus on the ignition switch.

Otherwise, a common culprit in random failures and random restartability is the crank sensor (Hall effect sensor). They are very maddening because the failures don't fit any pattern.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks mike, but "check engine" light do come on (sometimes)after it dies and I restart it. So do you think I should still concentrate on the ignition switch or should I work on crank sensor?

Reply to
sweetscent

Reply to
hardl;abor

I had a similar problem over the spring with a 940. After reading up on possible causes I bought a new Volvo fual relay from the dealer for under $50 and spent less than 30 mins installing it. It was a piece of cake, just a bit of disassembly of the console and ash tray covers. Only 2 screws and a bunch of snap-together parts, if I recall correctly.

That fixed the problem.

NCMan

Reply to
Opie

... fuel relay ... ;-)

Reply to
Opie

My sincere thanks to who replied and offered a suggestion or idea. The cutting off abruptly problem is now solved after I replaced FUEL PUMP RELAY (or fuel injection relay -as volvo dealer prefer calLing it). I replaced it with after market part at cost of $41 bucks after I read Opies and hard;abor replies. Just like Opie said, this thing took about 20 minutes to replaced no repair shop or a mechanic needed. All one need is a phillip screw driver and the new Fuel relay.

Reply to
sweetscent