940 GLE starting problems

Sometimes, my car does not start when I turn the ignition key ON. Until recently, I thought it was the starter. So I replaced the starter. The problem did not go away. Infact it got worse.

The funny thing is, if it doesn't start when I turn the ignition ON, then all I have to do is use a screwdriver and connect the two wires (the one coming from the battery & the one coming from the solenoid) on the starter and the engine will start with no problem. So, now I have ruled out the starter problem but I'm not sure what else to check. Can someone please offer a suggestion.

Reply to
sweetscent

U¿ytkownik "sweetscent" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

I've got the same problem. You have to change teh ignition switch.

Reply to
sq1euo

My 940 GLE is cutting off abruptly when I am driving. This can happen at anytime, anywhere, and at any speed (slow or fast). It can cut off when I am driving up the hill, down the hill, on the curve, or straight.

The interesting part of it is that, after it cuts off, it won't start immidiately when I try to start it and I must wait for about 5 to 10 minutes before it starts again. Then it might drive for about a half a mile or a mile before it cuts off for the second time then all I have to do is wait for about 5 to 10 minutes before restarting it.

Also, I have noticed that, this problem tend to occur and persist more often when temperature is high (hot)especially. I mention this because, the other day, the temperature in my area was hot (in 80's), and this vehicle had been parked directly in the sun till around 2 pm in the afternoon. When I tried to start it from the ignition switch, it wont start. I took a screw driver and started it from the starter with no problem. By the way, if I have problem starting or restarting the car from the ignition switch, I can always start it with a screw driver from the starter. So while I am aware that I need to replace igniton switch, I am not sure why it is cutting off on me abruptly when I'm driving.

If anyone out there has an idea or can offer a suggestion, I would appreciate very much.

Reply to
sweetscent