940 radiator fan intermittent

A friend's 940 has been overheating occasionally for quite a while now requiring the heat to be cranked up in all sorts of weather to keep it out of the red. He eventually tracked it down to the electric radiator fan occasionally not starting but I haven't had a chance to diagnose it further. What's involved in the fan control? Is there anything other than a relay and a temperature switch? My two main suspects at the moment are a bad relay, and a bad winding on the motor armature causing the fan to not start if it happens to stop on the dead winding. Is there anything else I should check?

Reply to
James Sweet

Where is the fan? if it is in front of the radiator (and aircon) then it is meant to give a boost to the cooling if air con is on and car is stationary or slow moving in traffic. I would check the mechanical fan for correct operation (it is temperature dependant) and possibly refresh the refrigerant in the air con as there are pressure switches involved in switching the electric fan.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

It's the primary fan behind the radiator, 940's never had mechanical engine driven fans, at least not here.

Reply to
James Sweet

IIRC the fan relay is a two speed type like the 850 and it sits low where the battery can crap all over it.

Bob

Reply to
User

And on Bosch FI the fan (relay) is controlled by the fuel computer, which gets it's information from the engine temperature sensor. There's no separate temp switch on the rad like you're used to on your 740.

940s with Regina fuel systems do have the separate temp sensor.
Reply to
Mike F

I'm pretty sure it's a Regina fuel system, been a while since I was under the hood but I'm pretty sure it's the car I'm thinking of with no AMM.

Reply to
James Sweet