940 Rear Oil Seal Leak

I was just told that the rear oil seal on my 1994 940 Turbo ( 130,000 miles ) has a slight leak and that it is not serious but the seal will need to be replaced at some point. They told me that replacing that part requires dropping the transmission and will cost about $500.00US.

Does all of that sound about right? =-- Rob

Reply to
Rob

Part of it does. I can easily believe that the rear main seal is leaking and I'm sure replacing it requires dropping the tranny. $500 sure sounds like a lot for that and you can live with the leak forever - I've been living with a rear seal leak on our 765T for more than 10 years. It's a bit messy but otherwise no problem.

You can try some seal conditioner - probably won't help, but it might. Cheap and easy to try.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I would think this to be about 4 hours labor @ around $60.00 plus parts. My local mechanic I think wanted $250 - $280 to do this job. I guess your labor rate will dictate this where you live.

Actually, my shadetree mechanic friend who did mine must not have seated it well, because I still get about 1 drop every 10 seconds. I have to make sure this is not my distributor leaking. If it is the rear main seal, we're going to drop the tranny and put in a new seal. This time I am going to assist.

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks for the answer. I think I'll let it go and see what happens. $500 for dropping the transmission seems like almost a full day job. The seal is probably on $25.

I'm trying that now.

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob