940 running problem, help

I have a 940 automatic volvo with 156000 on clock. This problem has got me stumped and the mechanic is scratching his head too. The car is dying at intermittent times. It started with just loosing power when the gas was pressed but it would pick up and carry on with no problems. This happened occasionally for a couple of days then had no problem for weeks. Last week it died and stopped but restarted and managed to get home with no probs. The a few days later it started this stalling again but this time after about 5 mins of driving erratically I pulled up and the engine died. When I went to restart it , it started fine but as soon as I put it in drive and put the gas on ,it stalled. It would idle but sounded a bit like not enough fuel was getting thru but when it was reved it sounded fine. Yet the minute you went to move it stalled. I did find the air hose loose ealier in the week and thought that might be the problem but I think it was coincidence. From reading the messages I am thinking fuel pump relay or air hose rip. I cannot understand why it goes like this then will be fine after a nights standing. It is now at the mechanic but is behaving fine, no sign of the problem. It happens at no specila time of day when hot or cold or wet, no rhyme or reason. Any ideas would be great as I do not know where to start. Thanks CLare

Reply to
clare

Pull the fuel pump relay, pop the cover off and check the solder joints, once that's good go from there. It's best to eliminate the easy stuff first.

Reply to
James Sweet

I had a very similar experience, and have read about quite a few others, too. It turned out to be the fuel pump relay. The fix is quite easy: buy a new fuel pump relay (~$50 from the dealer), or get one from a junk yard, or solder the old one if you are able to do so.

NCMan

Reply to
Opie

our 940t was doing this...i reached in and wiggled all the relays to make sure they were properly seated and have had the problem stop...could be just requiring tapping, wiggling, or re seating the relay to make sure the contact is correct....but, from what i see on this list, the soders do get or go bad and require replacement sometimes...i think i have seen, like 10 - 15 posts regarding this issue over the last year or so...btw: how do you like the 950, other than the gremblen you now have? do you put many miles on it?

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
clare

I will keep that in mind and on my PC! ;-)

greets,

Chris - Belgium

Reply to
Blackbird-EBOS

I had similar symptoms on my 940 turbo several years ago, and it turned out to be a bad gate in the turbo, which was a minor fix (it had come unhinged or something and simply needed to be reconnected correctly.

Reply to
mdrawson