940 steering pump vibration after MOT

In N.Ireland we have a Gov't controlled MOT, now called MOT2 with all sort of computer gizmos for suspension and the old-rip-the-steering apart moving pads to check bushes etc. During this test the steering wheel gets moved about quite hard by the forces. The Engine is off during it.

I am starting to think that everytime after this my steering pump is affected and gives severe vibration when turning the wheel. I have also noticed the same at other times perhaps after working at the car and moving the steering at the road wheels by hand (say for removing track rod end ball joints).

Usually seems to clear itself after a few days.

Is this just air in the fluid, or seal problems?

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

I suspect it's just air in the fluid, probably gets foamed up in the tank.

Can't say I'd be fond of having to send my car through a test like that, sounds rather hard on it.

Reply to
James Sweet

I once had the misfortune to have a brute with a lever try my crank shaft for movement in a Ford Fairlane .I told him to stop trying to damage the shaft it was not a Comadore a"GM'' car which was known for the problem of loose crankshafts Some are just butchers looking for issues rather than making sure the car is safe and roadworthy.This was a Road traffic Authority mechanic on a bi annual roadworthy hire car check in Tasmania .I didn't pay the boss of the out fit bribes as most did .

Reply to
Jon Robertson