940 volvo starts and then stops....

since my 940 turbo wagon stopped running a few weeks ago i had the battery and alternator checked and they were good and being broke i have not had much time to get the car to repair but when i tried to start i to today (just to check) it started really weak and then just died and it started again but really weak amnd died. i am goinmg to have this car towed this weekend but really would like more insite on the no start start no start crap any ideas.thanks

Kasoma Duplantis

Reply to
snpboy

Did any air hoses come disconnected? A broken vacuum hose or a rip in turbo plumbing could cause this.

Reply to
James Sweet

nothing looks out of place. this car is really well taken care of but the starting after a week or to is wierd i tried hearing the fuel pumps but could not hear anything i eben went looking for the fuel pump under the spare tire. i guess i will just get it towed.i really have a problem because the wife wants to go on vacation but the car needs to be fixed and i have only so much money. car or vacation she says you decide....thanks

Kasoma Duplantis

Reply to
snpboy

Does it have an air mass meter? If so unplug that and see if it starts.

Reply to
James Sweet

My experience with turbo hose problems is that the engine will start and idle, but sags or dies (depending on how big the leak is) if the accelerator is pressed.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I think you are on the right track - fuel delivery. The pump and the pump relay are both good suspects. The relay can be repaired, but the pump has to be replaced if bad. I haven't had the relay failure, but when the main pump went out it sputtered and never really got running at all.

If your pump is in the same location as the one in our '85 765T, it will be on a rubber-mounted bracket under the car beneath the left front seat. The pump can be heard running for a few seconds after trying to start unless the traffic noise is very loud.

Wrecking yards are a decent source of fuel pumps (and relays, for that matter) since you are on a shoestring. If it comes to that, be very gentle with those rubber mounts; push them through with a screwdriver rather than trying to pull things apart. They are about $5 US apiece the last time I bought some, but they are dealer only items.

One more thought: the fuel level isn't around 1/4 tank, is it? If so, you may have a torn hose between the in-tank pump and the fuel line. Adding a couple gallons will bring the fuel level back above the tear and the main pump will stop sucking air. It will take a minute or so of trying for the main pump to prime itself if that's the case, but after that you can drive as long as you look for a filling station when the level gets below 1/2 tank. Don't go too long that way because it really is hard on the main pump. The torn hose can be replaced with regular fuel hose in an afternoon.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee