940se OBD diagnostic problem

1993 2.0l model... my father-in-law's car.

Car wouldn't start so decided to read the ECU codes for a clue.

When he ran the OBD diagnostics, he got a 1-1-1 on port 6 but when he tried on port 2 he got nothing -- no flashes at all. The red LED lights up when the button is pressed but there are no subsequent flashes.

Anyone came across this before.... is this symptomatic of a faulty ECU?

Reply to
Bilko

i would say...the ecu isnt powered up...main relay?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

But surely if the ECU returns flashes for the port 6 (ignition) diagnostic, it must be powered up?

Reply to
Bilko

This happened to my brother in his 1990 740 Turbo - the car quit on the highway with no warning. The ignition returned 1-1-1, and there was no response from the fuel. The ECU was dead. Of course if the ECU wasn't getting power, you'd have a similar situation.

Reply to
Mike F