'95 850 intermittent coolant leak

Hi all,

My 1995 850GLT has developed an intermittent coolant leak that appears to be coming from the connection point between the underside hose and the expansion tank. I have disconnected the hose and inspected it (it looks fine) and the expansion tank (also seemingly fine) and have replaced the clamp with a new one tightened as much as I safely can without damaging the expansion tank.

I find most of the coolant leaks out when I come to a stop and it will dump about a cup of coolant out, sometimes more. I've also found that if I release the pressure by opening the cap once I've parked it significantly reduces coolant loss.

My question is this... could it be the thermostat? I had a problem with my 240 leaking around the water pump gasket when the car was shut off and replacing the thermostat solved this but I don't know if the

850 is similarly vulnerable or if I should be looking elsewhere. The radiator is less than 1 year old and the temperature guage never climbs beyond the 3 o'clock position.

Oh, one other thing, it seems to have started about 2 weeks ago when I found that the top of the expansion tank filler cap had sheared right off, exposing the valves beneath. Once I replaced the cap (from the dealer) it started leaking out at the clamp.

There seems to be a significant pressure build-up.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, I hope to start looking at it this evening.

Cheeps, blurp

Reply to
blurp

Everything's pointing to the cap, innit? Is it possible that the new cap is defecto?

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry