'95 850 steering rack & transmission Question

I am considering the purchase of a Volvo 850 wagon that may need to have the steering rack replaced and grinds just a bit when shifting into third gear (manual trans.). I have no Volvo experience, but usually do my own maintenance such as brake pad/rotor replacement and a couple head gaskets. My question is: would I be better off paying $1000-$1500 more for an 850 without these problems. Does anybody have any experience with these particular issues?

TIA, ~Homer

Reply to
Homer

I think FCP Groton or IPD should have a steering rack for 150-225 and it is a DIY job if you have the time and space to do it, or shop around for a good indy shop. If the 850 is really nice otherwise (no problems) and you really like it, then go for it.

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

Buy the more expensive car. The transmission may go forever, but any transmission repair will more than eat up the difference.

Reply to
Mike F

I'd say it's a tossup myself, how much is a used tranny for one of these going for? I know it'd cost more than the $50-$75 I'm used to paying for 240 transmissions but if you could find one for a few hundred the swap shouldn't be too hard.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the advise. I'm going to offer a bit lower than he's asking and see how it goes. ~Homer

Reply to
Homer

That may work if you're doing the re and re yourself. Not many shadetree mechanics will be able to do that on the 850.

Reply to
Mike F

What's so hard about an 850? Are there special tools required to get it apart?

Reply to
James Sweet

You need to remove the suspension cross member, which doubles as the engine cradle. So you need some method of supporting the engine from the top, and there's a lot more stuff to remove to get the transmission out as well. Generally a transmission re and re on the 850 is 7-8 hours using a hoist.

Reply to
Mike F

Engine hoist from above either side of the suspension turrets to hold the motor up, whilst you prep the area sufficiently to drop the whole front subframe out from below having separated the gearbox from the engine. The gearbox comes out from below, at least partially, with the front suspension, hubs, driveshafts, steering rack etc etc etc and the engine stops in held up by the support. To give you the room to change the clutch.

Re&re is about 7 hrs or more.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

In the end I decided to hold off and keep looking. (The lower offer didn't take.)

Thanks,

~Homer

Reply to
Homer