'95 850 turbo transmission ?

Daughter has a '95 850 Turbo Volvo, 165,000 mi. She's not mechanical. My mechanic, whom I trust, says transmission fluid is "scorched" and is "banging gears."

What is the life expectancy of this transmission? What is the cost to replace? Is it worth it on a 10-yr-old vehicle?

TIA

JB

Reply to
whyguy

First question - your mechanic says it's banging gears. What do you think of the shifting? Second question - what colour is the fluid? If it's shifting roughly, just try flushing the fluid, and see what happens.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike. Thanks.

Shifting: occasionally ok, occasionally erratic, occasionally illogical.

Fluid: since he said "scorched" I didn't ask details. I assume in the dark brown range.

What are the odds it will go another 10K?

Reply to
whyguy

Well, if the problem stems from the fluid, and you do a flush it could go another 100K. But it may quit today with our without a flush. It's too hard to guess.

Reply to
Mike F