95 854T Valve Train Noise on Startup

Car has 144k Km, always dealer serviced at recommended intervals, oil changed every 8000 Km or less. On cold start (even in warm weather) the valve train clatters loudly for ~ 2-3 seconds on startup. Noise completely disappears after than, and doesn't recur until next cold startup. No other symptoms -- runs smooth and quiet, ample power. Low oil consumption -- uses ~ 1/2 litre between oil changes.

I plan to keep the car for ~ 2 more years. Should I do something about this clattering, or is it normal for Volvo hydraulic lifters?

Rick

Reply to
Espressopithecus (Java Man)

Have you changed the oil / filter recently ?

Some filters lack a non-return valve which allows the filter to drain out and takes a few seconds to re-fill, before the oil pressure is restored ?

Nick

new-to-me V70 diesel ( with a cheap crap Fram oil filter I have just been told to get changed by my regular mechanic)

Reply to
Nick

No, but it's due within the month.

The dealer uses only Volvo parts -- I assume it has either a Volvo filter or one that is Volvo-approved.

Rick

Reply to
Espressopithecus (Java Man)

The earlier years of this model had trouble with lifters that failed at relatively low mileage. The lubrication passages in the head were too small, and there was probably a design problem with the lifters themselves. If you're lucky, a switch to synthetic oil - with the risks of oil leaks developing that this entails - will solve the lifter problem. If not, you may be looking at new lifters, down the road. And no, I don't know exactly what the design fix was. Maybe someone else here does.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

On an engine like that you always use synthetic oil.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Very common and not something I would not worry about. I assume that your dealer is using Volvo oil filters and the correct weight and quality of oil, so that isn't likely an issue.

John

Reply to
John Horner