96 850 GLT Catalytic Converter

Hello All

I have a 96 850 GLT wagon. My exhaust started making a growling noise that made me think I had a loose heat shield. I took it to my trusted mechanic and it was not a shield but the insides of my catalytic converter are loose and rattling around. My mechanic advised me to replace it as it could cause engine damage.

I looked on several sites and found converters but I have no idea how to tell which one fits my car. For example:

96&modelh2 This site lists several ranging in price from $50 to $400. I understand that direct fit means that the old one can be unbolted and the new one bolted in. Will the $50 unit work as well and just need to be welded into place?

Which one is right?

Regards Russ

Reply to
Russ