96 850 trans problem

My 96 850 TLS auto trans. will stay in first gear for 1/4 mile after it has not been driven for a few days. Once warmed up it's OK. The car has

227000 miles on it, fluid never changed but dosnt appear burned. Thanks in advance Jay
Reply to
John

Jay,

You have answered your own question.

It is time for a fluid flush and change. It is a simple procedure and while it may not solve all the problems with a 227k transmission, that is an awfully long time on original fluid. Search around on the do-it-yourself change for a Volvo 850. All you need is some plastic tubing and some good ATF. I used Mobil 1 ATF ( I used about 13 quarts and while it was quite expensive, the performance of the transmission improved noticeably).

I would be surprised if this did not fix your problem. Cars need to be driven as well. I do not know what you mean by a few days, but a car should not really sit for more than a few days without the fluid circulating. Volvos just run better if you drive them daily. This has been my experience with my 850TLA.

Matthew Brown Memphis

Reply to
Matthew Brown

Thanks Matthew. I'm kind of afraid to do a flush and oil change. Always heard that your opening a Pandora's box doing this on a transmission with over 75,000 miles on it, but it may be necessary.

Reply to
John

You have over 200K miles and you are trying an easy fix for your transmission problem? My 850 '96 Volvo with 51K miles in in the tranny shop right now to have the transmission rebuilted, so I do believe you got an excellent deal so far. If you never changed the fluid chances are that by replacing it your tranny will do even worse. When I started to feel a shifting problem with mine i started replacing fluid and it got worst each time I did it. Finally, I decided to have a shop to flush the fluid and from that day the car would not get in any gear. I had to tow the car to a tranny shop.

Wish you good luck,

Pier

Reply to
Pier1