96 850glt

just became owner of this little jewel...just over 100,000 miles one owner..non smoker...all recommended factory services performed as required...car is flawless! trying to get a handle on what problems might lie ahead...and approx miles that failure/necessary replacement might be expected...i just read of an automatic transmission problem potential...and something about a seat heater campaign..i know there was some kind of a fuel take recall performed..and understand the evap coil has a tendency to go...[wondering if they all do it or just those certain ones...]...please feel free to add your experiences and knowledge on this model...i would also like to know if there is a site where i can check official recalls on the vehicle. it is a usa version.

regards

Reply to
euro930

Good car. Here are the things you should look out for: a) As you've pointed out - the A/C evaporator. b) Volvo didn't have a recommended mileage at which the transmission fluid had to be replaced, so many 850 owners don't both with this. I would recommend a flush every 20K - 30K miles. c) The timing belt has to be replaced every 70K miles. If it wasn't done, do it immediately, and at the same time replace the water pump.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Another thing that I forgot. It is not uncommon for the rear seal to require replacement especially for '93 - '96 850s.

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

We bought a 97 2 yrs ago with 90ish. Problems:

1) Front brake rotors warped--dealing with it, will do pads and rotors when the pads get down. 2) ABS failed--I was unable to get the ABS unit out--it just seemed that I was stripping the torx, so I said forget it and when I next had the car in for service, which turned out to be for inspection I had them pull it for me--sent it to Mr. Rocha in cali, yet to get it back, but many others have been quite happy with his work. 3) A/C is not cold anymore on >90 degree days, dealing with it, perhaps a repair next year...hope not the evap! 4) When it gets way colder overnight from the previous temp, say a delta of 40 or 50 degrees F it does not deal and it is very hard to start. The Volvo garage (not a dealer) where we bought it used said thats a 850 problem and you can throw a lot of money at it to no avail. Deal with it and be careful to crank for 5-10 then sit for 15 of 20 to avoid burning the starter out! Once it adjusts it starts faine even at -10F! 5) Be werry werry careful not to spill into the power window control console--$500 I am told! 6) I had the ATF changed, but without good service the tran$ can co$t a lot to fix.

Basicly a fine safe reasonable ride. I cruise it at 85 no problem on trips and get mid to high 20ish mpg, wife uses it as her day to day and in traffic with her led foot she gets 17 MPG on high test. OUCH!

Enjoy the car, its a good buy!

Reply to
Steve

Who is this Rocha guy? I have a '96 850 and the ABS is intermittant. Is this a conputer issue and can he fix it by sending him the module? What does he charge? My Volvo repair shop mentioned about $700 I think at one time to replace the computer.

Thanks.

Reply to
TaWK

Vic Rocha - here's his website

It's an ABS control unit issue. Vic does a terrific job, and he will even provide you with the torx wrench you need to get the ABS control unit out.

Around $150 including shipping. You will be driving your car for a week without the ABS control unit.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

Thank you, Beverly. I will check it out.

Reply to
TaWK