'96 Volvo 850 airbox bad = $500?

Looking for comments, confirmation, and opinions on the following:

The check engine light on my '96 5sp 850 wagon came on.

Took it to the local volvo independent garage for an oil change and asked them to read the codes for the check engine light.

They said that my airbox is bad. It would be $500 total to put a new one in.

I would need to do this a few weeks before my next car inspection in May because the new inspections done in upstate New York actually READ your car's computer. After replacing the airbox it would take a little while for the car's computer to clear out the error codes.

Does this all sound on the up and up?

Where can I find a replacement ashtray for my volvo?

Reply to
Atif I. Chaudhry

I would imagine you probably mean air mass meter, not airbox? I can't imagine what would go wrong with an airbox, except being broken in an accident, I doubt the price is anywhere near $500, and it can be changed out easily in 5 minutes.

There must lots of good ashtrays in 850s in wrecking yards.

Reply to
Mike F