960 problems

Hello everyone.

I am new to this group, so please be a little patient with me if I mess with your protocols...

I have an 1991 960, turbo, petrol, automatic, 2.3 litre saloon that is starting to make me very upset and more broke than before.

The main problems are:

  1. The rear suspension has sunk and there is not a lot of clearance in the wheel bays. I am told the shocks are self-levelling and my local fitters want £350 each - probably plus fitting. I asked if it would be possible to fit standard shocks as this is less than one third of the price for both. He didn't know - does anyone here know the answer please?

  1. The heater system is playing up. When I turn on the fans, they fire up and I can hear them running. However, no air comes from the front vents and there is just a very gentle breeze from the windscreen demister if that is selected. I have tried two alternative control units (that fit in the dashboard area) but it made no difference. Could it be the relay-type silver box in the passenger footwell that is playing up (it does click gently when the switches on the controller unit are activated) or could it be something else?

  2. The air-con has packed up - it may just need a recharge but I am loathe to splash out on this if it is caused by another problem. I switch it on and nothing happens, warm air blew through the vents when they were working a couple of weeks ago when it was warm enough for the sensors to trigger the A/C. Now of course there is nothing through the vents at all, as described above.

  1. My turbo unit seems to have packed up - there is no turbo kick-in and the engine does struggle a bit under load, up hills and so on. At other times, the car trundles along happily as long as the turbo indicator does not indicate it is trying to initiate the turbo.

I am sad to let this vehicle go if there are economical ways of fixing it, but I cannot afford a two-tonne Swedish Steel money pit sucking in all my cash, so any help will be deeply appreciated.

This is my third Vulva, the other two were great, a 240 and a 740, though the 740 was a bugger for messing about with the electrics.

Thanks in advance

Skint git.

-- I can speak Esperanto like a native. Spike Milligan

Reply to
Strange lad

I can't really help with the other probs, but don't pay £350 each for self-levelling shocks. You can get them from your local branch of GSF for 135 each. Put some on mine recently. The self-levellers are the ones with the rubber boot on the bottom, the regular ones don't.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Graham W

Reply to
Graham W

Hi Graham

Thanks for the tip, there is a GSF nearby-ish in Brixton so I'll call them tomorrow to see if they can help.

Good tip. I had no intention of shelling out 700 ackers, way too much like a rip off.

Skint git.

-- I can speak Esperanto like a native. Spike Milligan

Reply to
Strange lad

Reply to
Olav Alexander Mjelde

Thank you sir, my mechanic friend can't find one so I suppose it will need a trip to the inspection pit so he can look properly.

Thanks for the reply.

Strange lad