97 850 ABS light

Sometimes the ABS light will stay on and won't let me put the car into gear. Usually it should last a few seconds but lately, every now and then, it stays on for as long as a minute or once it just stay on. I can change gear with the release button but I am afraid it will mess up the car. Does anyone know why this happens or if there is a fix for it?

Reply to
mklim

Usually it should last a few seconds but lately, every now and then, it stays on for as long as a minute or once it just stay on. I can change gear with the release button but I am afraid it will mess up the car.

Does anyone know why this happens or if there is a fix for it? ==================== There is a switch on the brake pedal that actuates a solenoid next to the shifter. The solenoid unlocks the safety lock on the shifter.

I would have the system checked, as the ABS light comeing on is an indication that the brake switch is likely bad.

hopefully helpfull, MarshMonster ~:~ ==================

Reply to
Marsh Monster

The ignition switch fails and keeps these circuits unenergized. Try moving the key the smallest amount.

Or just replace it.

Mike F

I think that the 2 incidents are coincidental. I have the shifter problem that you speak of, but the simptoms are inconsisent. The switch problem is very common, and has even been documented by NHTSA.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Marsh Monster) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3255.bay.webtv.net:

Reply to
Bubba