97 850 battery drain figures - measured

I got my problem squared away, and I got some measurements on battery load with the car off, in case anyone wants to know.

Locking the car and activating the alarm - 8.7 amps (momentary) This figure might run to 10 amps or more if all the doors need locking. I didn't dare try, since 10+A will blow the $15 fuses in my DMM. It did include everything else though.

computer + alarm monitor: 30/36 mA ( for the first minute ) computer + alarm monitor: 24/30 mA ( steady/LED lit thereafter)

The first set of figures suggest that after power up, the system is running self diagnostics, or checking/setting states on various sensors. After about one minute, it drops to the second set (24/30)

The high figure is when the LED lights. If the car is already locked and the battery is disconnected, the alarm system draws about 47 mA for a second or two when reconnected(until it powers up). You really need an ammeter in line to tell if things are OK. A test light will not do.

regards

bullshark

Reply to
bullshark

bullshark What kind of a problem did you have? My 96 850 seems to be charging ok, but in about 4 days of no driving the battery is dead. I had the altranator tested and replaced the battery. Thanks Marc

Reply to
marc9230

My glove box door warped to the degree that the light was not going out. The door didn't look bad, and except in the very dark, could you tell that the light was on. Pull the bulb out and see what happens.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (An Clar)
Reply to
Ron