97 850 GLT Overheat ? Help!

The dash temperature gauge is saying hot.

This morning, from dead cool in 70 degree temp it was showing abnormally hot after 5 minutes of idling. Typical is dead center (horizontal). It will also jump around some...rising up to 3/4 then back to level and then back go back up again (never to return once the engine is actually warm).

I drove the car 40 miles at 65. Ther was no coolant loss or any problems. It does not appear to be true. The engine is not that hot. The radiator is cool. I can grab the upper hose (to thermostat) and squeeze it.

I am not getting any check engine light from the ECU.

Another thing is that once the temp gauge goes high the A/C stops working.

I think I have a bad coolant sensor. Does that make sense? I thought about the water pump, but all my prior experience tells me that bad water pumps leak coolant.

Is there something else I should look at?

thanks,

bullshark

Reply to
bullshark

Go to

click forums click search type Coolant and Voila....

Thanks for the link. It's a good page for future reference, but didn't provide any help for my problem.

thanks

bullshark

Reply to
bullshark

A very nice reader (Stephan van Liempt) suggested I should check the thermostat first.

I had thought of that too, but discounted it since Volvo replaced it a few months back.

Since I had to drain coolant and pull the thermo anyway, I checked the thermostat and it was bad.

Thanks folks. I fixed it with a $10 part without wasting $60 on the wrong part.

bullshark

Reply to
bullshark