97 850 KeylessRemote/Alarm light is on STEADY??

This is a follow up to my battery drain question.

I did some checking when the car came home, and the problem seems to have disappeared.

I went out in the dark, once more, to check for any lights that might have a stuck switch that I might not have been able to see in the daylight.

There on the dash was the brightly lit LED for the alarm/keyless entry. Instead of flashing, it was on steady and quite bright.

I cycled the lock system, and it went to flashing.

Is this the problem? What does it mean when the LED stays on steadily?

I think I don't want to know...

regards,

bullshark

Reply to
bullshark

It means the alarm has been activated, so that if at that point someone tried to crank the car it would not turn over and the lights would start flashing and the horn start honking. A blinking light means it is 'ready' a solid light means it is activated. The way I usually screw up and activate mine is by using the remote to lock the doors when the driver door is open and I'm sitting in the drivers seat, I usually press it by accident..... it dosen't like that.

FYI

Reply to
Robert

Yes gaining access, as in opening the door (as in breaking out the door glass and reaching in and pulling up the lock lever.)would set off the alarm (whenthe door opened), but lets say the door was already open... (as in my case of sitting in the car with the door open.) then the only thing that would set off the alarm is if and when the key was placed in the ignition and turned. The alarm would go off at that point in that case.

If yours in blinking and with no other thing intervening, a hour or two later it's on steady... yes there is some issue with the system

My example: I use keyless to unlock the car after workout, then while hustling my gym bag to the back seat, sitting in drivers seat with the door open, I accidentally push the lock button on the key fob... the doors lock. I not knowing any better put the key in the ignition to start the car and bam, alarm goes off. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, I'll agree to that but that how is it works... maybe mine is fried!!!

:)

FYI

Reply to
Robert

I don't really follow that.

If I lock my car (key or keyless) the locks close and the light blinks. Presumably the ignition circuit is already disabled and anyone gaining access would set off an alarm, so how does 'activated' fit in the picture?

I'm guessing that you're scenario is the only correct one. The vehicle lock/alarm system is activated with an open door. The light comes on steady. Close the door, and it should change to the armed state.

(I'd go out and check it right now, but I am running a battery drain test to see if I have located/fixed the problem. I have a new battery and from a fully charged state, I'm checking the battery voltage every hour with the car in a normal locked state.)

In my case, the alarm reached activated state all by itself. There were no doors open, no lights on, no key. About 4 hours after I locked the car, I found the light in the 'activated' state. I'm thinking the only thing that would cause that is some kind of fault in the door/lock sensor circuitry...

Thanks for the reply,

bullshark

Reply to
bullshark