97 850 Odometer

The odometer on my 850 just died. I suspect the odometer gear gave up the ghost. I called the dealer and they said Volvo now has an improved gear and they will install it for $400.

I called my mechanic and he said he could install a new odometer since repair parts are unobtainable. When I told him that Volvo distributes a repair gear, he said they could do it for about $200.

I suspect I could do this myself as I did it once on a 240 but, at 62 years of age, life is too short to go through all that again.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

This link has a link to the odometer repair.Once you have the gear and the correct torx wrenches, you can do the repair in an hour. I needed to read mileage from my ECU because I had gone so long without repairing it.There is a link to explain how to do this on some 850's. I used a small electric motor with a small rubber wheel to drive the repaired gear assembly to the corrected mileage before reassembly of the

The second link is to an old post of mine regarding this problem.

Reply to
JDG

You can do this

JDG

You can do this

JDG

Well, my mechanic found out that Volvo wants $99 for a QUARTER INCH piece of PLASTIC!!! They gave me the choice of having them replace the gear at $400 or sending out the unit for refurbishing by a speedo shop for $500+.

I'm going to the friggin' dealer tomorrow.

Thanks to the responder who sent the website with full color pictures of how to do this but, by the time I spend to get the tools, take a day off work to do the job and spend $99 at the dealer to get the part, it's worth it to me to pay those b*stards to just do it and then it carries some kind of guarantee.

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974 (but I'm beginning to wonder why)

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

Hold on.. First, go here:

the 15 tooth gear for 850's.

  1. Remove the dash top: (Caution: Airbag.. Disconnect battery, follow procedures in manual.)
    3. Remove the cluster, and following screws & nut (turbo)
    Remove the clear front window and bezel:
    Carefully pry the dial plate away from the body. The pins unplugfrom the PC board in back:
    Lift out the odometer, unplug the wire, and unclip the reset buttonlinkage. Remove the motor from the end, and see this:
    Remove old gear and tooth, install new one, reassemble everything.http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/InstalledGear.jpg(These photos were from a 94 850 turbo)-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Reply to
Doug Warner