'97 850 skips and pulses

Our '97 850, with 78K miles has started to "skip" or pulse at speeds of 45-65mph. The problem is intermittant and occurs when while driving at a constant speed and no-load or slightly de-accelerating.When the skipping is occuring, there is no noticeable change in RPM on the tach.

All routine maintenance has been performed including new plugs, wires, timing chain.

There are no codes and fuel pressure is also OK.

Shifting from OD to D has no impact (it was suggested to me it might be the tranny hunting between D and OD).

I'm considering doing a fuel pressure test while at highway speeds (tape the gauge to the windshield) just to assure I'm getting good fuel pressure at highway speeds.

Anyone have experience with this problem and identifing the cause?

Thanks,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Doug:

I would change the fuel filter. It's a cheap part, usually done at 100K I think from the manual, but that could be it. Also, how is the ignition coil? Sometimes changing the rest of the ignition system stresses the coil a bit.

Check brickboard.com or swedespeed.com or volvospeed.com for similar probs.

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance