'97 960 Air pump

Hi, I just purchased this car knowing the check engine light was on. I took the risk knowing it could be a problem but the price was right. When diagnosed : EF1448 - air pump flow too low and EF1442 - Flow malfunction.

Mechanic states "air pump will run with power and ground supplied, suspect flow is too low." Recommend replace pump, check valve and gasket."

I wondering if the pump needs to be replaced. Could it just be the check valve? I know I'm grasping at straws here because I don't want to shell out the $$ for the air pump but.....

Thanks, Patrick

Reply to
pomalley

Power the air pump directly and see what happens. It draws lots of current, so use heavy duty wires. The amount of current will heat up a cheap light clip lead in about 2 seconds. The pump should blow lots of air if it's working properly. These pumps die frequently on the 850 model, partly due to their mounting location. On the 960 the location is better, but still not ideal. You're almost sure to have a problem with the valve - it opens to allow air flow into the exhaust with a vacuum signal from a solenoid that is energized at the same time as the pump.

Reply to
Mike F

The major problem is that the check valve on the exhaust pipe leaks letting condensation and exhaust gas back into the air pump exhaust and eventually into the motor. You could most likely repair the air pump with the instructions from here:

be sure to replace the check valve when done to prevent a repeat repair in the short term. Bob

Reply to
User

On my '96 850 this was caused by a problem with the air valve, the pump was fine. I replaced the valve two years ago and have had no check engine light issues since. Perhaps yours is the same.

I wouldn't rush into replacing the pump, but would start with the valve. On my car it was an easy job to do myself. The part is readily available from most of the Volvo parts places.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Do appreciate. I think I'll by the valve and try to replace myslelf first. If that works... I'm a happy camper. Will keep you posted.

- Patrick

Reply to
pomalley

Good luck, Patrick. Don't be discouraged if you fail to perform the replacement. My '97 960 chuck (sic) engine light has been on for 6 months due to the air pump failure. My very trustworthy Volvo mechanic assured me that I can do without the repair. The down side is that my emissions control will not run as effectively.

Jas>Thanks for everyone's feedback. Do appreciate. I think I'll by the

Reply to
F Name

Thanks to all for your input.

Well, I purchased the EGR Check valve at eEuroparts -

it to the mechanic and he installed for $37.50. Worked like acharm. No more check engine light!!!Saved a bunch of denaros by not purchasing the air pump as the mechanicsuggested and buying the part on line. I've found the best prices ateeuroparts.com. Free shipping too.

- Patrick

F Name wrote:

Reply to
pomalley

It's baaackkkk... Don't know what happened but after two days of driving, it's back. Don't know what I'm going to do know. It came back as I was driving. I would have thought it would have come back when I started the engine since it's suppose to only be used at start up. Back to the drawing board.

pomalley wrote:

Reply to
pomalley

The air pump's function is to inject air into the exhaust at cold start to help burn the products of the rich mixture needed. However there is no way for the computer to determine if it is functioning as designed without some additional expensive components. So it's function is tested at idle after the car has warmed up. The oxygen sensor feedback loop is turned off, and the computer monitors the output of the oxygen sensor. Once everything stabilizes, the air pump is turned on and the oxygen sensor output is monitored. If the oxygen sensor does not report more oxygen in the exhaust, the code is set.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike, I went to Autozone to have them run the diagonstics (they do it for free) because I had another light go on the dash - flashing arrow pointing up. Something to with the transmission it turns out. However, that diagnostic check, reset the computer and now all is OK and the lights have not come on in 175 miles. Perhaps it just needed to be reset again. I don't know but I ain't complaining. Will keep you posted. Thanks

Mike F wrote:

Reply to
pomalley

I'm thinking I need to stop posting to this group. The engine light is on again. About 4 days after it went off. Maybe it takes that long to detect a problem. Back to the drawing board. - Patrick

pomalley wrote:

Reply to
pomalley

Stop messing and guessing and read the codes which must be there on the OBD. Then sort out whichever part(s) the code indicates and get it fixed. The car is too young to have developed any very major faults.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes