97 Volvo 850 Freon charge?

Would like to add some 134 freon to my 134a air conditioning system. Can't find the connection to input the freon. Did find what appears to be an access port it is marked 6nm on the lid, but I'm not sure. If you happen to know please advise me, it's getting hot here in Nevada and this AC system isn't cold enough. The nearest Volvo dealer is about 3 hours away. I think I can do this myself with a little advice.

Thank You Dale P........

Reply to
Dale Peterson

What you found is the standard low (suction) side dry break service port.

Bob

Reply to
User

Just follow the lines around, the access port will be somewhere in the suction line somewhere between the compressor and the evaporator, it shouldn't be too hard to follow. Just make sure you measure the temperature carefully and charge it to the correct pressure for the measured return air temp, too much charge is just as bad as too little.

Reply to
James Sweet

Nothing but Blue skies in Nothern Nevada!!!!!!!

Dale

Reply to
Dale Peterson

Hello Dale:

AFAIK, the low side service port is located on the accumulator--which on your car is likely a silver colored cannister on the passerger side of the engine compartment near the firewall.

That said, DO NOT try to service it yourself unless you are SURE you are working on the low pressure service port.

If you accidentally hook on to the high side service port (350 to 400 psi) you risk injury and possibly death. That small can of R134 will be a hand grenade if you hook up to the high side--and I'm not kidding.

Also...I have never found Volvo AC to be as cold as some other vehicles. Try putting a digital instant read thermometer in the vent and let us know the actual temp.

On my 93 wagon when the outside temp is 98 degrees farenheit and humidity 60 to 70 % The vent temp is 55 degrees f.

That said, with the sun beating down and sitting in traffic the car does not feel ice cold inside--but is probably as good as it will get.

Cheerio,

Doc

Reply to
doc