98v70XC Service Light Reset Tool Emulation?

Other than purchasing one of the IPD tools at 178 bucks, does anyone on the group know how to make up one, or simulate one with jumper leads? I'll bet its just a momentary contact switch that grounds a pin on the OBD port to clear the light.

Reply to
Chris Bowne

Believe it or not the OBD-II connector uses the same wire to communicate with all systems. Any tool plugged into that port sends digital info to "talk" to any of the control units. The service light is triggered by the processor in the instrument cluster, and you need a specialized electronic tool to reset it.

Reply to
Mike F

I have sadly come that conclusion. Volvo engineering took this function into the "cannon to kill a fly" zone. Apparently got lots of gaff about it, as the 99 and up cars have a simple dashboard control sequence procedure to reset. At least it doesnt stay on all the time - goes out after 10 minutes or so.

I'm sure I can get it reset for NC at where the car was purchased (Eurocars Plus of Grot> >

Reply to
Chris Bowne