99 s-80 (yeah that one) 2.9 popping code p0442, MIL light on... need advice

The story thus far:

Uninformed about the vagaries (read problems) with this year and model, I bought it used with ~70K miles on it. I spent about $12K back in

2003. I have since put about that back into the car in the form of a new engine, new PS pump, new tires, new this, new that, and keeping the codes down. The new engine and PS pump were used, but they were new to me and better than the dead ones.

AFter the nu-used engine went in (this is summer-04), the Check Engine light came on, intermittently, but more often than not. Also, the Check Emissions warning came on, again, intermittently, but again more often on than off. I finally moved to a state where they take their emissions testing seriously (Virginia) and have been told that I must get whatever is ticking the codes fixed.

I got myself an ODBII reader and discovered that there were some actual problems with the system. I took it to an independent mechanic who specializes in cranky Scandananvian autos. They fixed a broken tie rod, replaced the two tires that hadn't been replaced before, sealed some vacuum leaks, charged me about $700 and said something really weird for a mechanic to say, after holding the car for only about two days. What they said was roughly like this:

Well, we've done what we can do, but there's something with the front O2 sensors that we just can pin down. We switched em with the back ones and we switched em left to right, we done did everything we know how to do, and the damn light won't go out.

I was amazed, as my experience has generally been either of two options: 1- hold it a lot longer, fix a bunch of junk that might be related and run up the billable labor hours or 2- clear the codes and send me on my way, hoping it doesn't pop again. Anyrate, the big advice here was that it had to go back to the dealership.

I took it to the dealership they recommended, and was told that they needed to replace the "oil seperator (PCV box)" to continue with diagnosis. They also did a software update. I did a little research and asked if this could be cleaned (according to Volvo's TSB on the matter, it should be, and it's a lengthy process to get it out), he said "No, and if we wanted to, we'd have to do all the labor of replacing it anyway, and that's the major component of the $800 pricetage for doing it. Oh yea, we can't guarantee that this will fix the problem, either. One last bit of salt, the part for a Chevy costs $2, but for your car, it's $150." That's not all direct quote, but it covers the substance of what he said (he did mention the relative cost of PCV boxes for Chevys and Volvos, which I think was a little cruel).

Anyrate, I said, "No Deal." After an experience getting the car back from the dealer, I drive it home, notice that the emissions service light isn't on anymore, and plug in my ODBII code reader. My results follow: Codes: p0442 EVAP Emission Control System Leak (small) MIL light: ON (don't need an ODBII reader for that one) Mointors:

0 Incomplete 7 Ready Misfire Fuel Comp Catalyst Evap O2 Sensor O2 Sensor Heater

So, I guess the question is: Is this p0442 something related to the PCV box? Should it really take $800 to fix this? And if there are any experts on Virginia Emissions Testing, is this something I'm gonna get flunked over?

Reply to
Hollywood

In a nutshell, P0442 is not associated with the PCV system but with the vapor handling system for the fuel tank. Common faults are loose gas cap (probably not your problem), defective gas cap, defective filler neck gasket. The code will likely cause failure of any emissions test. It should not cost a lot of money to hunt down; the process is basically to pressurize the fuel tank with a hand pump (I've used a bicycle pump) and watch the pressure with a pressure guage (I used a manifold pressure guage that had a low pressure fuel pump scale.) The various suspect areas are blocked off or sprayed with soapy water to narrow it down.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The evap codes are a pain in the butt. P0442 small leak can be a split in the vent hose fitting on top of the gas tank that loves to split, a fuel cap that won't hold pressure, the engine regueled while running, a leaky evap purge valve, dirt in the charcoal cannister vent valve, a defective fuel tank pressure sensor. The best thing to do is hook up either a VADIS or VIDA machine and run the evap control test to see if you can spot a valve leaking. If not then smokw test the system to see if you can see a leak in a vacuum hose.

Once you pinpoint and repair the leak the fuel tank must be between 1/4 and 7/8 full. The outside temperature must be between 40 and 80*F and the car must be driven after an overnight cold soak. If these conditions are met two times in a row the monitor may run. At any rate most emissions tests allow the absence of two monitors as long as the MIL light isn't commanded on.

Bob

Reply to
User

Thanks.

So, the follow up questions read like this: #1 - How do I know if the PCV system has a problem? Would it pop a code?

#2 - Is the P0442, what's causing the MIL light to be on?

-Hollywood Thanks again.

Reply to
Hollywood

#1 - Not familiar with the S-80 in particular, but normally there isn't anything in the PCV system that can be monitored. What I am getting from User (who is a pro, I believe) is that part of the S-80 PCV is connected to the vacuum system so there can be a code associated with it... but I wouldn't know the code.

#2 - P0442 will definitely set the MIL light, but there can be multiple codes and all must be cleared (by resetting or repair, as necessary) before the light will go out. In the case of multiple codes, often they are complaining about different aspects of the same failure.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to