99 S80 Code P0442 Troubleshooting

Getting a Code P0442. Also noticed since that I do not get the pressure release when I open the gas cap at the gas station anymore, it used to hiss pretty nicely.

I checked the purge valve in the front of the car, did the old wrap my lips around it and couldn't blow through, then engergized it and it opened.

I suspect something at the canister, but W.T.F. that doesn't look easy to reach at all!

Hearing some techs saying that the leak detection pump may have failed, but I would say I have a leak someplace just because I do not have pressure anymore at the cap. I did also change the cap to see if that did anything and no dice.

Anybody have a "troubleshooting" procedure for this like 1st check this,

2nd check this, .... I have very little repair information available for this vehicle. I'd feel better if I had an agenda.

Thanks !!!

Deacon Eisenhart

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

Deacon,

According to the info I found on code P0442, it is a small leak in the evap system. I will address that type of fault.

The purge valve will not cause this code and there is no leak detection pump on a 99 S80. It will normally set a "large leak" fault.

A scanner is a great way to start to address these issues, but they are not always available.

Next to that is a smoke machine that you use to fill the evap system and check for leaks, also not easily obtained.

You can visually check the evap hoses and use a hand held vac. pump and check some of the lines and canister for leaks.

The canister shut off valve can cause a slow leak. If you can get to it, you can energize it and check it for a leak like you did with the evap valve.

I believe there was a software update for this year, don't know if it will address your problem though.

If you live in the SF area, I can possibly give further assistance.

Good Luck

Reply to
bretbodas