'99 V70 XC: High underhood temperatures?

The first REALLY hot day my V70 was showing REALLY high underhood temperatures, actually front bumper temperatures on in dash outside temperature display. I was seeing 140's and I KNOW it wasn't 140. (F of course)

My (water) temperature gauge never moved from its normal resting place dead center in it range. I did overflow a bit, but the tank returned to normal cold level after it cooled off that night...

It seems when it gets over about 90deg, the outside (bumper) readings go nuts...

Is this telling me something? Is something else amiss.

Reply to
Bob Sisson