A/C Blower Motor is a pain to remove.

This is just a rant. I know, the 240 a/c motor is much worse than the

740 because you have to remove half the dash.

The 740 blower motor is another kind of pain in the ass. This is the kind of pain where someone puts a motor "right there" -- 5 simple, easy bolts to undo, unplug a couple wires and a drain tube, push the Jetronics aside, and out it comes.

Why in the world are 2 bolts in a place where human hands never belonged?

I think it's because Volvo didn't design the motor and they screws have to go where the holes on the motor are drilled. Well, 45 minutes to remove 5 simple screws because of the location.

I used a socket wrench and spanner wrench, I think I may buy a flex-shaft extender to worm around the motor next time. I am only imagining how to remount the new motor and put screws where my hands barely fit and I cannot see. I am thinking tape will play some role in this and maybe a mirror.

But, I practice my Yoga today. I was in the half-pretzel-inverted-lotus position. Kind of like the crash test dummy who wasn't wearing his seatbelt, kind of position.

Fun!

(sigh)

Reply to
Jamie

The buzz is that the 240 is made by suspending the blower motor by a string and assembling the car around it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I believe that. I think they made the 740, realized some people in places like Texas would be sweating their cohones off, and hired either a midget, a contortionist, or an engineer with VERY small hands to try and solve this.

I think I might buy an inverter and a window unit from Wal-Mart and mount this through the rear window. LOL

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Did you remove the JetTronic ECU first? It gets in the way of some of the screws.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yes. That helped some. It's mainly that one screw tucked WAY up in the back. I pulled back the carpet and padding and that really helped some more.

I pick up the new motor today, should have it back in the car this evening.

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

James, Can you send me that diagram we discussed? I replaced the standard a/c blower motor with what you recommended -- the Saab engine. I re-routed the fuel lines and have the cooler hose connected. It was a bit tight fitting that engine up under the dash, but you know that when you're "engineered from Jets" you can fit anything anywhere.

I think this new Saab engine will put out a bit more air than the a/c delco motor without compromising to much on noise.

Thanks for the tip. How many other cars would offer as much safety, reliability and the ability to do cool things like replace an A/C blower motor with a Saab engine?

I love my car!

;-)

JB Jamie wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Don't try to put that screw back in; it isn't necessary.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks, but with the help of a mirror and socket extender, I got all the screws in. My lesson learned was that I should have worn rubber gloves. After applying a liquid gasket to the motor, I got covered in that stuff trying to align the motor with the screw holes.

Besides that, the new motor is very quiet.

Modifications: This motor was a Siemens from AutoZone. $29.99. I saw FCP Groton and NAPA also used Siemens, but for about $55. The new motor had no drain holes drilled like the old motor, so I drilled two small holes.

It came with a cage, but I noticed no balancing clips on the new cage, so I cleaned and re-used the old cage that was balanced.

Other than that, perfect fit and works well.

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
Jamie