A/C Compressor not coming on - 84 Volvo 242

This problem is with my 1984 Volvo 242. Had my a/c system completely rebuilt 2.5 years ago with new compressor, etc and has been working fine. The compressor is no longer turning on when the a/c switch is turned on. The adjustable thermostat switch on the switch was not replaced when the system was redone. Before taking this in to the Volvo mechanic, are their any obvious things to check? I did check the fuse and it was OK. Is their anything funny about this thermostat switch?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You can check it with an ohm meter, it's just a switch. Be careful not to damage the capillary tube for the thermostat that controls it. Turning it fully clockwise should close the contacts regardless of the state of the thermostat. If the compressor is no longer turning on the charge may have leaked out, I don't recall whether the 240s have a pressostat to sense that.

Reply to
James Sweet

Connect the 2 wires at the receiver-drier, and see if the compressor comes on then. If so, then the switch is bad (very unlikely) or the refrigerant has been lost.

Reply to
Mike F

Dave I do not know where the a/c compressor is on the 242, but if you can get to it, when you think that it should be coming in, ie a/c full on, VERY CAREFULLY give the end of the clutch a tap with a thin wooden stick. If it clicks in, your clutch may be worn beyond its limits. It might be possible to adjust it in situ if this is the problem. Graham

Reply to
graham.brownlee2

It's right on the front on the lower-left side of the car. Easy to get to like all the rest of the accessories on a 240.

Reply to
James Sweet

While we're on the subject, what's the deal with the red end of the AC thermostat? What's that represent? War Emergency Air Conditioning? Temperatures so cold as to be dangerous?

It bypasses the thermostatic switch, forcing the compressor to stay on (assuming no fault conditions). It can cause the evaporator to ice up, no damage but it will stop cooling until the ice melts and it could leak on the carpet.

Reply to
James Sweet