a/c compressor replace?

I have been having problems for 2 years with my 1996 850glt the compressor will run all the time and overheat then just shut down. I took it to volvo and first they told me evaporator coil then once it was there they told me compressor too, well the car is not leaking freon because its been doing this for 2 years, I dont think its the evap coil and I dont want to pay the 2500 bucks for the whole system, finally I called volvo and told them I only want the compressor and clutch replaced, im having that done today, I need input if im doing the right thing, I did take to a foreign car garage for 2end opinion they said evap too. if it is evap shoulnt it be leaking freon? I had pressure test done and no leaks were found. always blows cold. kelly

Reply to
volvogirl850

My a/c compressor runs all the time overheats then shuts down, it will not cycle on and off when hot outside, I took it to volvo and had a pressure test done, no leaks its been blowing cold for 2 years since this problem has started.I have never had to add freon. they told me evaporator coil is bad, I thought if it was bad then it would leak freon. once the car was at dealer they called me and said also compressor needs to be replaced. that will cost 2300 bucks, I took the car to a foreign car garage they told me evap as well, I truly feel its a problem with the clutch. I am taking it in today to have compressor and clutch replaced. if that dose not work I will have evap coil replaceed in spring. I do have a pollen filter and me and the previous owner always changed the filter more than once a year. I am looking for input as to what may be wrong and if this is a common problem for 850 owners and if anyone has had it fixed. I have posted on brickboard and no true answers there. Kelly

Reply to
volvogirl850

If the system is cold sometimes, then there isn't a leak. 850s have a problem with a overheat switch on the back of the compressor that can be too sensitive and shut the compressor off. This sensor can be bypassed. Also the gap in the clutch can get too high with wear, allowing the compressor to engage when cold, but to not reengage after normal cycling when hot.

Reply to
Mike F

'sale of goods act 1979' (uk) which makes the RETAILER responsible ( the person or people that you bought it from ) for the purcahsed product being defective within 6 yesr in England and 5 years in Scotland. I have a volvo

850 T5 estate and XC70 estate and have never had any problems. If you live in the UK just quote the 'sale of goods act 1979' and they will do any for you!

Steve

Scotland....tight, I konw!

Reply to
bens0n

How's that work out? Does it mean that if a person buys a 20 year old car they get a 6 year warranty automatically?

Reply to
James Sweet

yea I live in the us where if you get a good used car your lucky, My

850 is in the shop now and I havent heard from them in 2 days, dont know if its good or bad, they did give me a new S40 to ride around in. kelly
Reply to
volvogirl850

this is what I suspected and why I am having the compressor and clutch replaced. I hope it works, volvo has had it for 2 days and I havent heard a thing from them, dont know if its good or bad. kelly

Reply to
volvogirl850

It's probably bad I'm afraid. If they haven't talked to you, it's because they don't want to. And they don't want to because they have something to tell you that they think you don't want to hear.

Reply to
Mike F

Kelly,

I have been nuying used cars since 1976. I have been very careful about what I buy and have has VERY good luck with buying used. BYMMV

Reply to
R51reed

CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY, I HAD A 1987 740 GLE WITH 250 THOUSAND MILES ON IT AND DIDNT GIVE ME A LICK OF TROUBLE. GUESS I SHOULD OF KEPT IT, THE A/C WORKED FINE IN IT. KELLY

Reply to
volvogirl850

I've had great luck as well, I always have bought cars that are cheap and expected to be somewhat of a project, so far I've been pleasantly surprised.

Reply to
James Sweet

absolutly!!

my wife and I have threatened two major retailers in the UK with 'small claims court' action in the UK and we one without going to court. Once you have lodged your redress with a Sherriff Officer or Judge the retailer cannot trade within the country of the claim, so they cannot afford the bad publicity nor loss in profit. So if we buy a product in the UK and we are offered extended warranty at cost we refuse, its money in the bank for the retailer. The Sale of Goods Act is not common knowledge amongst the public therefore they take out the extednded warranty. In short here is a pointer which applies to the UK......

bens0n

Hi Kelly,

We have been to two Volvo dealers for a price for replacing the A/C. One quoted us £505 Uk pounds and the other one £340 Uk pounds...convert as you wish but it sounds like your garage is out to make some extra money.

Reply to
bens0n