A/C in US model S40

We have a 2002 model car that has developed a strange problem. The A/C puts out cold air on the passenger side of the car and hot ( or hotter than right side) air out of the driver side of he car. It is an intermittent problem right now. We live in California where recently it has been quite hot.

The dealer wants to recharge the refrigerant ( claiming that is the first thing I shoud do.... or was that pay for?) I say the refrigerant is fine otherwise the A/C would not put out any cold air at all.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? My guess, without knowing anything about the car is that the problem is in an air directing valve that selects outside air ( or air from over hte heater core ) to the inside of the car. I think it is stuck in the partially open position... sending different temperature air to different output grills......, but until I can get some verification, my dealer is just being a pain.....

Thanks Frank

Reply to
Frank Filippone

If the air is cold from the one side you do not need a recharge, you need a new dealer, or independant shop. Volvo and consumer protection also need to be told of this.

I *guess* it's a vaccuum operated door causing the issue.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks Steve.... That is what I think... a leaky vaccuum line to the trap door, or a sticky trap door....

But now I would like to be sure there is a vaccuum problem... how do I test it out? Where are the valves/doors?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Filippone