A new noise (85 245)

So far, I've asked about my heater blower and my rear dif, and maybe something else. I don't recall.

So now, I have a new question. I heard a noise in the back, and figured it was a rear dif issue, so I asked here. And it was suggested it was either the fuel pump or the rear dif. Because of the description of the noise I heard, I was told to check the rear dif lube level. So I checked it today, and it was low (I don't know HOW low, but it was low). So I filled it and it seems to be better now.

But now I hear a different noise. And I do realize some of that might be just me being paranoid, but I'm not sure. When I started it under the deck (enclosed) I heard what sounded like my heater blower motor fan on coming from the back.

When I would drive, it would be drowned out and eventually go away. And sometimes when I am at a stop light, it appears again. It does not change based on my speed, the speed of the engine, or if I'm coming or going. If I pump the gas pedal, it makes no difference either.

My friend says it doesn't sound like a fuel pump issue (I'm hoping it's not, thats not cheap to fix) because it doesn't have the sound to match what he thinks it sounds like (and because of the amount of gas I have in my tank, almost full, it doesn't sound like a pre-pump issue either).

Any ideas?

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

Given the age, I suspect the rubber bellows attaching the pre-pump in the fuel tank to the pickup tube. To get to that, get under the car and disconnect the union in the high pressure line, then open the access panel inside the car and disconnect the return, vent, and wires from the tank bung. Remove the bung nut and pull out the pump/sender assembly. You'll find a rubber accordion hose between the pump and pickup tube, which will very likely be split. Replace it with a length of 3/8" fuel hose, or order the correct part and reassemble, the noise should be gone.

Reply to
James Sweet

While I will fix it, is it a huge mechanical/running issue if I don't get to it right away?

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan

It's hard on the main fuel pump. If you keep the tank full the noise will probably go away, the problem is only when it gets down to about half. It won't cause any immediate damage.

Reply to
James Sweet

hm...I have mostly a full tank though, and the noise is evident.

Reply to
Blazer Fan Dan