A silly car question...

Okay, I'm curious about something and can't find an answer via the usual Google search.

Why aren't car steering wheels in the center of the car/dash instead of on either the right or left side? Is there some advantage to having them to the right or left instead of center?

I know it's silly, but I'm really curious about this, if anyone has any information.

Thanks, Patricia

Reply to
Patricia Butler

The placement of the driver next to the center line is deliberate to make it easier to see around a vehicle in front of you so that you can pass safely and to make it easier to judge the distance between the driver's car and oncoming traffic.

Reply to
Tim McNamara

If nothing else, early cars would have a problem with the steering column & rods, etc being over the engine and transmission, rather than along the side. I don't think rack&pinion style came along until they started doing tranverse engines & front wheel drive.

Also makes room for a passenger without having the car be super wide.

Reply to
Reed