ABS & Tracs Off Warning Lights

I've got a '96 850 GLT Wagon and the ABS and Trac's Off warning lights are coming on occasionally, usually together, sometimes not.

Anybody with ideas what's going on?

reply to email or group

thanks

aloha GaryK

Reply to
sparky

The TRACS works alongside the ABS sensors as the 850 only brakes the wheel when it detects wheelspin. Unfortunately there appears to be a generic fault with the ABS control units that may mean you need a new control unit-very pricey. If you're lucky, it might just be a wheel sensor. Get the error codes read, and get the garage to 'guarantee' that if they replace the sensor, that this will cure the problem....quite often the error code suggests a wheel sensor but in fact it's the control unit at fault. If the ABS warning light is on, then I believe ABS braking would be disabled, so this could be why it didn't work to well....it may not have been working at all!

Reply to
Conrad Edwards

All 96-98 850 and x70 share the same control unit, and problem. You'll probably get a right rear wheel sensor code, but it will be a control unit fault. The rear sensors come as a unit (left and right together) and changing them is a long (and therefore expensive) process. If you get a right rear sensor code, you've been warned....

Reply to
Mike F

Wasn't lucky; it was the control unit. It was $600 installed. Ouch. Then again, I was lucky that I didn't suffer brake failure prior.

Reply to
Phil Lefebvre