AC cooling cuts out at highway speeds

My 960's AC compressor cuts off above 45-50MPH on the highway, engine speed about 2400 RPM. The blower motor is fine, by the way - no reduction in airflow from the vents - just a loss of cooling like the compressor is shutting down. As a test I drove around the block in first gear at 3000RPM and the AC was cold, so it must be vehicle speed related.

Question is, why should the compressor operation be related to the vehicle speed and is there a way to solve this mystery?

Reply to
news.west.cox.net

It's probably low on refrigerant, there'll be more airflow through the condenser at higher speed.

Reply to
James Sweet

Exactly.

Also, at a little higher RPM, the compressor will be driven a little harder, and produce more cold.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander