Access to back of radio in 740 gle wagon?

Hello group --

I purchased a 1988 740 GLE wagon just the other day. The car already has an aftermarket stereo (one of those JVC Kameleon ones), so I ordered the CD-changer - RCA output adapter off ebay. What would be the best way to gain access to the back of the stereo so I can plug in the adapter? The previous owner seems to have bondo-ed the stereo into the dash (I guess he was ultra wary of thieves), but I think I should be able to reach around something enough to plug it in. I was looking at the kick panels around the AC controls and ashtray, but I couldn't figure out how to get them off. I was also trying to get the little slot with the cigarrette lighter next to it out, but that didn't want to budge either. Any suggestions?

Reply to
tmcaulay

Wow -- glued the radio to the dash, huh?

I don't think you can do an end-around easily with all of the vacuum accessories for the heating and cooling. MAYBE you can pull the ashtray and cigarette lighter panels out and use the access to the fuse panel, but that could get tricky. You might need a mirror, assuming you can get your hands in there.

Then there is maybe using an exacto knife and try and cut the epoxy. That, or use a fine hacksaw blade.

That radio should have a "key" that is probably required to remove it. Check somewhere like Crutchfield.com to see if you can order one. Or, visit your nearest Circuit City, BestBuy or radio installer and maybe give them a few bucks to see if they can pop it out.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Reply to
tmcaulay

The side kick panels are a minor pain because they extend outward, but it can be done. I pulled mine off checking vacuum actuators and it's pretty tight.

If you really want to have some fun, get the biggest drill bit you have and drill right into the CD slot. Then insert a bigger bolt, screw it in and then pull that bad boy out and install your own radio.

On second thought - try the fuse panel first. ;-)