Advice needed - 1991 240 idle problem

Hi everyone,

I just picked up a 1991 Volvo 240 wagon from the original owners with

147K miles. Paid $2500. This car drives great, even though I am used to driving BMWs (and still do). I have always loved the look of the 240 series, and am glad I found such a great car.

The car has one problem whose cause I cannot immediately identify. About every fifth time I start the car, it dies as soon as I put it into reverse or drive. It may take several tries to get the car started, since it will start right up and then then die as soon as I get it into gear (it is an automatic). As soon as I get it going, it gets going fine. The baffling thing is that the car does not do this behavior in any pattern - it happens with a hot engine, cold engine, first thing in the morning, or in the middle of an afternoon of errands.

My uneducated guesses are: Air mass meter, idle control valve.

I am not going to be doing the work myself, but I would just like to find out the most likely cause. The car has to be dropped off for the annual maintenance service anyhow, but I'd just like to know what the problem is and how much $$ it might entail.

Other plans for the car: Replace driver and passenger plastic lower door panels, replace A/C switch, install dashboard cover, install floor mats, install cargo cover, install fog lights, install armrest with cupholders, tint windows, add CD player. I have discovered IPD and they have great catalogs.

Any suggestions about the idle problem or the upgrades are appreciated. Thanks!

--Todd

Reply to
Todd

Todd

You may want to start with having the Throttle Body cleaned and adjusted. It's something that needs to be done periodically. Shouldn't be terribly expensive. I just had mine done for $60.

Dale

Reply to
Dale