Advice on 2004 S-80

I am just about ready to buy one of these cars. At the dealer claims it's a

2004 model year. Is that possible so early? I have posted in here a couple times with general questions on reliability, referencing Power's report and some comments in here and volvospy's forum. So I asked the salesperson about that. His response was the low numbers were mostly due to lightbulbs.......(!). Well, ya, there have been bulb problems, but of all things Volvo could have fixed easily that surely tops the list. I have owned an Alfa, two 1800s's, a Saab, which was beyond terrible, and Audi Fox, so I am not totally new to these things. Cars however have increased in complexity since then. No one knows exactly what may turn up as issues with my particular car, but are there any major issues with the S-80? I about literally had my hand on thecheckbook when the car first came out -was that '1999? Then I read this forum and stopped. Back then I drove one of those first ones. The acceleration seems better and overall the car is very nice.
Reply to
Michael

All I can say is whats the latin for "I reboot" ? Great cars if you have the money - you dog !!!, but all I can afford is the older iron, 240/740. MikeF seems to know about these S80's etc. I think they look great, but all I hear on this place is computer problems, but that's not probably so bad if all you have to do is reboot the damn things - beats getting oily. Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I've heard some of them went through bulbs but I don't know why. My car has been excellent in that regard, I've only replaced one headlight in 50,000 miles and 2 1/2 years. I don't recall any other lights going out although the dealer may have replaced one or two without me knowing. The S80's use two brake light bulbs behind each lens so if one goes out there is still one left.

I've been very pleased with my S80 and it has had perfect reliability.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The S80 is like making a bet. The '99, the first year of production, was a complete disaster. It was like a very bad draft of the car.

2000 was a bit better, but you still had the two front air bags deploying in a 5 MPH frontal collision. That's ~ $3,000 -$4,000 U.S. to fix that. Two third in the production year of 2000, the air bags were fixed, but Volvo did not do a recall for previous owners.

Overall, you should be more concerned about the kind of (lack) of service you may get from your dealer.

IMO, if you have a VERY strong dealer to support you, go for it, the

2004 should have few bugs. Otherwise, you take a bet. It's your money.

Personally, I won't touch another Volvo cause of the attitude of HQ. VCNA has a Ford attitude. And to me that's a bigger problem than the car itself.

Reply to
Sam

The head lamps in my 2000 S40 are hard to reach, so I let a neighborhoodd service station change them. This Spring, one headight went out for the 2nd time. While the srvice station owner was putting in the new bulb, he remarked that a third of all Volvos he sees have a headlamp out. He didn't specify a model or models.

Reply to
Marvin Margoshes

I've met 5 or six '99 owners who were very pleased with the reliability of their 1999 S80's and none that were not.

Mike

Two third in the production year of 2000, the air bags

Reply to
Mike

I'm on my second S80 now. My first was a 2000 2.4(170) SE Auto which was extremely reliable mechanically and was a hoot to drive, however, it did go through light bulbs like there was no tomorrow. I have just bought a new

2.9SE Geartronic with the Comms, Premium and Winter packs which I am delighted with. The handling is much improved with greater feel in the steering and much more positive response that my last car. The seats too are also much improved (and now electric). I drive a fair few miles commuting in my car each year and the S80 is the perfect tool for this. I would heartily recommend it to anyone - but I always carry a spare bulb kit!
Reply to
Andrew Gaunt

I'm on my second S80 now. My first was a 2000 2.4(170) SE Auto which was extremely reliable mechanically and was a hoot to drive, however, it did go through light bulbs like there was no tomorrow. I have just bought a new

2.9SE Geartronic with the Comms, Premium and Winter packs which I am delighted with. The handling is much improved with greater feel in the steering and much more positive response that my last car. The seats too are also much improved (and now electric). I drive a fair few miles commuting in my car each year and the S80 is the perfect tool for this. I would heartily recommend it to anyone - but I always carry a spare bulb kit!
Reply to
Andrew Gaunt

the lights are just another item they %$#@ up w/the s-80's....try fixing one, after a rock break on the highway...but...by 2004...i am sure volvo has fixed many of the problems the earlier ones had.....if not...the model is good as dead over the next 5 years....folks (like me) will be looking to the newer re engineered s60's and what ever they roll out in 2005 - 2007...should be interesting.... in the mean time i will just cruise around in my over boosted 93 940t....i can smoke the rear wheels @ 30pmh... ;-)

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^