aftermarket radios for S80's?

A few months back, I remember reading an article where aftermarket radio manufacturers were complaining because car makers were making the radios more and more specialized and they couldn't be replaced because it would affect the operation of the car.

One car I thought they refered to was Volvo's. They said that the radio unit contains not only the radio but controls for other parts of the car as well. I think they meant that alot of the steering wheel controls go back through the radio and would become useless.

Is it possible to replace the radio in a 1999 Volvo S80 (or any other modern car) and retain all the functionality of the radio as well as other car functions?

Or do radios do more that than just tune stations?

Reply to
Rick Savoia

You can chanche the radio in a s60 s80 v70 and the rest "xc90 you cant. that sterio controls a lot of things in the car more than tuning stations" the control on the steering wheel for changing tracks wont work after if you have on of those.

The things you hafto do is , Get a rack for the other sterio (volvo is selling those) Some cars hafto have a new software (not all), "Radio OFF or somting in that style" (volvo is downloading them to)

Reply to
Didde