Air intake on 245: Necessary?

This weekend I replaced the air filter on my 84 245 wagon (auto, non-turbo) and discovered that the air intake -- the short hose that runs from the grille to the air filter housing -- had turned to dust. I cleaned away the debris.

Should I bother replacing this? The engine still gets its air, just from behind the grille. Is this part valuable enough to bother replacing? If so, where would I get it? I doubt Discount Auto Parts has one... Thanks

Reply to
naverillsn001

Mine did the same thing a few years ago - and has been running fine without one ever since.

I think the tube you are referring to is only used to channel cold air to the intake - there is also another one which channels hot air (from around the manifold) to the intake to aid faster warm ups on cold mornings. These used to be selected by a flap (winter/summer) but IIRC the later cars had a thermostatically controlled valve for this purpose.

David

Reply to
David Balfour

Thanks.... Mine has no other intake... Has a spring-loaded flap in the filter housing where the intake attaches, with nothing that controls the flap ... Am I missing a part?

Reply to
naverillsn001

It's been a while since I went in there, but I think spring is the thermostat for the flap. Are there no other tubes coming into the filter housing?

In either case, my previous 240 (1977) lost the entire system very early on in its life. The engine ran with just the bare tube coming into the filter housing for nearly 400,000 happy miles. I don't see it makes much difference.

Reply to
David Balfour