Air Mass Meter?

I limped home yesterday. Chugged accross the George Washington Bridge in second gear. What makes me think its the air mass meter is the fact that above 2000 rpm the engine was running fine, below that it was sputtering. If it was a fuel problem (fuel pressure regulator), I wouldn't get acceleration at any rpm.

My mechanic buddy says its the hardest thing to diagnose and that he's seen as many as 5 Air Mass Meters swpped out before they got it right on another volvo. He also says buy a factory and not a rebuilt part.

Anyone have similar experience?

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Pierce

See how the car runs with the air mass meter disconnected. With the air mass meter disconnected the car should start and idle OK, and run fine at low power settings.

Reply to
Mike F

Hi Matt:

I have a 98 Volvo S-70 GLT, yesterday the engine started stalling. It stalls and cuts off at traffic lights, in parking lots, or any time I stop or travel slow in traffic. When it shuts down, the only way to restart it is to hold the accelerator down on the floor and it will eventually start. Believe me, ive tried every other way to get it to start, but it wont! I know that holding the pedal all way down does no good on fuel injection, but it does on this one. Does any of this sound like what your car is doing? If you have any ideas that might help please let me know..Larry

Reply to
Robie

Larry,

Mine turned out to be the fuel pump, not the air mass meter!

Your problem sounds a little more dramatic. Good Luck!

Reply to
Matthew Pierce

acceleration

Unplug the AMM when the engine is warmed up, if the AMM is the problem this should get it running pretty well though it'll run like crap when cold. That's how I always test it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Be aware the connector to the AMM can be intermittent, too. (Reseating can make it worse, but I was luckier than that.) Pressing down on the AMM connector made my idle surge to normal, and a quick cleaning with contact cleaner made it all better.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for all the replys, Mike, I will clean the AMM connector with contact cleaner, and Hope it works..thanks Robie

Reply to
Robie

Hello Matt,

I have 1997 v70 awd wagon with the same problem i.e. under

2000rpm the engine is really rough. My engine light has come (an upside down Y shape bottom right on the dashboard). Just wondering if you have fixed the prob as i'm looking for advice. Hoping it can be sorted without taking it to the dealer.

Thanks

Garry

Reply to
gjlatz

WE found the oxygen sensor and the prepump were the problem after much drama and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$you know who you are my guilty friends ..

Reply to
John Robertson