Airco clicking...

Who can advise me?

I own a Volvo V70 Classic (building year 2000).

When I'm standing still (motor running), the airco-compressor turns on every

10 seconds and runs for about 3 seconds. This happens when the temperature outside is higher than 15 C (60 F). The aircosystem is refilled and tested a few weeks ago and my Volvo dealer says there is nothing wrong....! But I'm not sure whether I can trust him.

Also my question to you: is this normal?

Greetings,

John

Reply to
Gemini

If the A/C is on (including if the defroster is on, which activates the A/C), it isn't unusual for the compressor to short-cycle in cool weather. Under these conditions it doesn't take long for the compressor to cool the evaporator down.

If the short-cycling persists when the weather warms up I'd be more concerned, but the real test is whether it can keep up with cooling on hot days.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Mine does this!! It wont cool in hot weather either !! the compressorclutch just keeps clicking in and out

Reply to
steve

That isn't good. If the charge is correct - it has to be checked by a professional unless you have R-12 - the valves in the compressor are probably bad.

Short-cycling is most often associated with low refrigerant charge, but all sorts of things can have the same symptoms. In the case of the OP, the long interval between cycles and the short on time sounds pretty good for cool weather. Low charge, especially if it is really low, often stays engaged for only a few seconds as a vacuum is pulled on the low side, then tries again quickly as the vacuum bleeds off. Bad compressor valves do the opposite, running almost continuously and only shutting off when it can catch up but re-engaging almost immediately.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee