Alabama project car wanted

I live near Birmingham, AL and am having a hard time locating a suitable project vehicle. If my information is correct, there was a dealership in B'ham in the 60's but there are very few 60-70 model Volvos around. However, I am looking for a drivable or near drivable 120, 160, 200 or

1800 series (of most any year) that I don't have to ship from Maryland or California. If anyone could help point to a vehicle like one of these, my appreciation would know no bounds.

DLB

1983 245 283,475
Reply to
David L Bryson

David,

I have a 1970 1800E. I bought about 4 years ago, have done a lot of work replacing old hoses, belts, and rubber brake lines (the flexible sections near the wheels), getting the AC system working with a new Sankyo (rotary-style) compressor and new condenser, overhauling the radiator, the gas tank, new brake master cylinder, upgraded alternator (55amp instead of original weak 35amp) overhauling the brake vacuum assist, upgrading the ignition from mechanical points to Krane electronic ignition (huge improvement), getting all the dash gauges to work, sound/temperature insulation of the cabin, minor re-build of the seat webbing, all new exhaust, all new shocks and springs, all new suspension bushings and ball joints, re-built steering gear, re-fastening the sagging headliner, replacing the door rubber trim with upgraded material to reduce wind noise. The list goes on, but I've concentrated on the mechanical. The body is straight, no wrecks that I can see, but the paint is faded. This car has what I would say is the typical rust for this model, along the passenger side rocker panel.

I'm over 50 (I won't say how much), and my back has begun to demand an older person's car than the 1800 sports car. It loudly protests if I attempt to do any work under the hood with my back bent over. In other words, it's time for me to let someone younger take this car. Until early this year, I drove the car regularly, but have switched to my Volvo 240 full time now. Though the car is still registered and insured, I haven't driven it since February. Due to sitting, the clutch has stuck to the friction plate, which is pretty common, at least on the older Volvos. When I first purchased the car, it had likewise gotten stuck when its previous owner had not driven it for a few months. There is a shadetree mechanic's technique for rocking the clutch loose, which I've not attempted to do.

This model was the first of the electronic fuel injected cars from Volvo. They also added this same fuel system to the Volvo 160 sedan, and to a couple of the 140 models. This same system was also found in Mercedes and Porches of its day, and a modified version of it was used very successfully in the Datsun 240/260/280 Z models. This model also has the overdrive transmission. All of these are working correctly.

I decided at the beginning of this year that I should sell, but have not moved quickly. I've thought that I should go ahead and finish some of the cosmetics (new paint, new dash repair to cover the original cracked/peeling dash cover, new seat reupholster, some more similar items).

Without any of the cosmetic repairs, I would need $4,700, which is well under half what I paid and have invested in repairs. Since this car is not a top class collectors' model, I think it is typical that the owner will not recover all of his/her investment.

If I go ahead with the repaint and cosmetics, I will sell for a little above $7,000.

If you watch eBay and other "for sale" bulletin boards, you will see that these are typical prices for cars that are in good mechanical condition, the difference in price from $4,700 - $7,000 usually equal to the difference in paint and interior appearance.

Without the cosmetic work, I would consider this car to still be a "project", but obviously not one that I would sell as a junkyard bargain for under $2,000. Though I won't get to it, the next major work I had planned was an engine overhaul. I had the good fortune to purchase a recently overhauled engine, using a performance cam from IPD and all new pistons/rings/valves/lifters/etc. (IPD is a well known Volvo performance parts company). This engine had been in a buddy's 1800E, but was rear-ended. He parted it out, so I got the engine, but have not yet swapped it into mine.

Let me know if you want to pursue this. I can send digital pics. By the way, I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander