Alternator Light comes on when accelerating

Hi,

I have a 1998 S70.

I was in the mountains last week where the temp was freezing or below.

Since I have come home the alternator light comes on when accelerating from a stop and then and goes off after about 5 seconds when I step on the gas.

My mechanic said battery and the alternator tested ok. He works mostly on BMW's these days, however started his business working on Volvo's.

Should I be concerned?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Radiant Gal in California

Reply to
radiantgal

The most logical thing would be to look for a loose or glazed drive belt.

Reply to
zencraps

The onlky thing I can think of is that the alternator drive belt must be slightly under-tensioned. That is looser than it should be!

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

BTW - a good "shadetree" test for a slipping belt is to try to turn the alternator by pushing on a cooling vane (right behind the pulley) with a thumb. If the alternator moves (and the belt does not) the belt is either too loose or worn out.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Besides the belt concern, it's possible the engine ground is bad and the engine is getting a stray ground until you make it work and torque to one side. The ground is a braided strap under the car in the older models but I don't know what it is in the S70.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I'd guess that the d+/61 wire on the alternator is chafing/chafed somwhere and that when the motor rotates under starting load it shorts to ground and causes the light to come on.

Bob

Reply to
User

Although Bob is probably correct --- in a Porsche I own the flicker and intermittent light on acceleration was finally diagnosed as being a screwed up 'diode block' (or the solid state equivalent) --- the alternator was occasionally dribbling out some AC current.

It might be something to check on after you're sure that the chafed wire isn't the culprit, ( --- AC can fry the engine mgmt system).

Reply to
Mat-nospam