another 240 vibration noise found... but what's the cure?

I replaced all three motor mounts today (two motor mounts and the tranny mount to be specific). While under there I found the last(?) source of the vibration rattle. The parallel pair of 90 degree bent header pipes that goes from the exhaust manifold towards the catalytic convertor seems to be double walled. When I strike it I can hear what sounds like a spring rattling inside. I assume that this is a double-walled pipe, and the inside pipe is either broken loose from some welkds, poorly executed, or rusting through(?). Anyone deal with this sort of thing before? I have some ideas, but am awaiting more enlightened opinions.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

The original pipes had a stainless steel cladding with some insulation behind it to try to keep the heat in the exhaust gases, so the catalytic convertor would warm up and start working sooner after a cold start. When they start rattling find where they're loose and insert a small sheet metal screw between the 2 pieces of metal to put some tension on the loose joint.

Reply to
Mike F

That is exactly what I was thinking- So are they 3 layers- an insulation sandwich (as it were)? It sounds like they are rattling along most of their entire length, but two or three well-placed screws might do it..? About 3/16" or so you think?

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

What I use depends on what I have on hand and the size of the gap. Whatever fits in tightly enough to stay.

Reply to
Mike F