are 98 V70s galvanized?

98 V70 GLT

please advise

also the gas mileage on this car is not very good especially in town - does anyone advise using the "clunker" voucher to replace one of these and if so what would you recommend?

I like it but it is taking too much gas

Reply to
daffy

With newer Volvo-models after 1992 the whole bodies are doublesided zinc-coated.

I can not confirm that at all: I had Volvo 850s (GLTs and T-5) and V70s from the D5 to the T-5. They all were among the best in their class as far as mileage is concerned.

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

Volvos were galvanized since '86.

Seems like a shame to use the clunker voucher on such a relatively late model car, at 11 years old it's barely broken in.

IMO that whole clunker program is a terrible waste of money that will lead to a lot of perfectly good but not really needed cars being scrapped. The folks who drive true clunkers who could really benefit from a newer car will still not be able to afford one even with the voucher.

Reply to
James Sweet

I thought only 240s,700,900s (V90s) where galvanised, and not 850/V70s. The 300s certainly where never galvanised. With the more popular FWD/cheaper car introduced in the 90s I thought they had dropped the idea of a 20 year life span.

I agree with that, they have forgotten that sound businesses make a much better economy and sound businesses come out of stress and not ease or support.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

Quite the contrary. The FWD's are unibodies which actually is a high strength steel safety cage. All parts are made from galvanized metal since rust weakens the metal and decreases the crash resistance. A car with unibody construction that corrodes is an unsafe car. That was unacceptable to Volvo.

The steel was galvanized. One-third of the FWD's body structure was made of high strength steel (HSS). The HSS portions receive two different zinc coating processes: the conventional electro-galvanized steel and also a special hot dip process. In addition, areas prone to damage of the galvanized layer such as wheel wells and door sills received a durable plastic liner to prevent damage to the galvanizing. My 1995 850 has 153,000 miles and is definitely at least a 20-year car. The only Volvo that I have had that showed rust was a 1971 1800E, the sports car.

On the flip side, I had a 1990 AWD Subaru Legacy that had the tail gate rust out. The entire tail gate had to be replaced. Also, it had wicked-bad torque steer. It wasn't long before it was replaced by a FWD Volvo. The Volvo FWD models were specially designed not only for rust prevention but also to minimize torque steer.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Ok looking back thats the second time you have corrected me on that. You maybe right, I didn't register your reply the first time around and have been repeating the mistake. I am of course only taking about hot dip galvanising (or powder coat process), not electroplate Zinc which helps but is no substitute in a wet climate beyond 12 years or so.

I could have sworn I had seen alot of older 850s with rust, maybe it was just the wheels, faded paintwork, and general broken bits. The RWD Volvos are in a different league to the FWD ones on reliability and lifetime, but not economy/styling or handling (debatable).

HSS is of course more sensitive to rusting than the 'heavy duty steel' used in the 940, hence hot dip galvanisation was essential on the 850 rather than a selling feature. Of course the marketing people will try and convince otherwise.

Bascially we know from Volvo's add campaigns and general financial problems in the 80s/90s that lifetime and reliability does not sell at the price that it costs. I am fairly convinced that Volvo tried to reduce cost deliberately at the expense of reliability in the FWD cars. As a business strategy it worked, and fortunately leaving all these very valuable old cars for only those in the know.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

The 100/200/700/900 are all unibody construction as well.

Even galvanized cars will rust. I've seen plenty of 240s with rust holes in the floor pan when they have spent time in a salt environment. Salt is horrible stuff, galvanizing helps, but a salt exposed car will succumb eventually unless you build the whole thing out of high grade stainless, titanium or plastic.

Reply to
James Sweet

We in Australia are so fortunate as rust is rarely an issue except with Ford and GM cars my 23 year old Volvo 740t 1990 turbo is rust free as have all my Volvos past and present been but my sons 2005 Ford Falcon has rust issues sadly .Both my Wifes S40 T4 and my sons Ford have a problem with gathering leaves in the body just in front of the door in the well of the fender ,so a wash out is important to avoid rust . We have a dry climate and no salt winters are mild and unless you live close to the sea Rust is rare . My V70 Volvo LPT 2004 looks like it will be rust free too .The BSR kit on it works well .

Reply to
jrobertson

I forgot the latest Mercedes are rusting big time another reason for not driving a German car . I am offended when some ask isn't Volvo made in Germany !!!!!!

Reply to
jrobertson

Dunno about galvanizing as such, but our Volvo-specific independent mechani c here in the Toronto area (lots of winter salting) advised us not to bothe r with annual rustproofing on our '99 V70. Said he saw very little rust on the cars that came to him; the few examples he knew of had been parked regu larly on dirt, and he figured that was a big factor.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

here in the Toronto area (lots of winter salting) advised us not to bother with annual rustproofing on our '99 V70. Said he saw very little rust on the cars that came to him; the few examples he knew of had been parked regularly on dirt, and he figured that was a big factor.

Rust doesn't seem to be the problem it was once, on all makes of car. Seems the makers decided en masse to do something (good) about it.

Reply to
Jordan