Auto Detailing Question

I'm working 3 boards here: this one, brickboard and turbobricks. I'm trying to clarify a subject that has many answers and I can't get a simple one.

I just bought a Porter Cable 7424 polisher and a nice pad kit to go with it. I also bought a bottle of Sonus FX-1 polish/cutter. I have never used a machine, nor machine products. I am a fan of the MaGuires

3-step hand products: 1-Paint Cleaner, 2-Wax, 3-Polish.

Here is what I need to do, and I really would love some product recommendations. I have 3 needs, the car is Silver:

1- The hood is the worst. Over the exhaust pipes off to the left is a large wear spot, surrounded by white oxidation and the entire hood has deep scratches. I am not against repainting the hood, but I want to try and restore first. I want to cut into the paint on the hood. If I go too deep, so be it. I need an aggressive chemical and need to know what pad to use. I bought the Sonus FX-1 for this.

2- The roof. I removed the roof rack to expose dark, shiny nice original paint. There is light oxidation and it has a decent gloss. I would like to gently polish or cut to try and get the exposed paint to match the protected paint as much as possible.

3-The sides. These have decent shine with little to no visible oxidation. I would like to try and get the color darker and remove surface blemishes that appear to be in the top coat. I do not know if this car has a clear coat. In low/normal light the paint looks very good. In bright light is has obvious blemishes and imperfections. It looks like a sheet of stainless steel.

So - 1 is the most difficult and I need product ideas. 2 is slightly less and 3 is the least problem. If anyone can suggest machine products for these 3 needs, that would be great.

One other idea I have is 3M Finesse-it II, but I have only used this on boats. How is it used on cars? As a polish or an abrasive?

Thanks!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I think the final answer is the Sonus, combined with MeGuiars #4 Medium Cut polish/cleanser and then #83 for the rest of the show.

We'll see!

Reply to
Jamie