Auto Trans Fluid for 2001 C70 - recommendations

Before those few of you tell me that the auto trans shouldn't require service, let me tell you that I have a need to replace the fluid in my C-70. Nuff said.

Now the question. The owner's manual says "use only special Volvo fluid" I can't find any of that stuff for sale. Dealer tells me he can't sell what they use in containers. Everyone's solution; bring it on in and we'll do it for you.

Well I want to do it myself, and I know how, I am just looking for opinions on replacement fluid that I can use. Dexron III like my older 850???

Reply to
In Vancouver

AFAIK the spec calls for a fully synthetic Dexron III type fluid. If you're going to change the fluid every ~20,000miles this will be fine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

What about Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid?

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

Dexron III is not a good fluid for the Volvo 5 speed automatics. Other than the genuine Volvo fluid, I don't know of anything available, but that doesn't mean that it's not out there. I don't have a car with one of those transmissions, so I'm not too worried about it yet.

Reply to
Mike F

That still doesnt explain what is wrong with using a fully syntheitc dexron III style fluid from anyone who makes one. Whats so special about Volvo's synthetic fluid??

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

On your owner's manual. For my '98s (4 speed auto) the owner's manual specifies Dexron IIE/III and Mercon. Yours doesn't. Now I think (and I'm basing this only on general knowledge, I don't know anything specific) the only difference between Dexron and the Volvo fluid specified in your manual is the friction modifiers, which affects how smoothly the transmission shifts, and you won't damage anything with Dexron III. However, if it were my transmission, I would only put in the specified fluid, or a fluid from a reputable company that specifically mentioned that it was OK for use in your particular transmission. Unfortunately for us, lots of carmakers have gone to their own transmission fluid formulations, a far cry from the days when there was only Dexron and Type F.

Reply to
Mike F